Village of Elburn | (630) 365-5060 | M-F 7:00AM - 3:30PM

Waste & Recycling

Residential waste and recycling services are provided by Lakeshore Recycling Systems. Commercial accounts may select their provider. Our current residential contract with Lakeshore Recycling Systems initiated on August 20, 2018, was extended for an additional five (5) years through September 30, 2028. Our service rate is for take-all refuse, recycling, and yard waste. Residents are billed quarterly by Lakeshore Recycling Systems change on the anniversary of the contract and the following rates apply:

Lakeshore Recycling Systems

Website:  view

Contract Term Rate
October 1, 2023 – September 30, 2024 $20.48/unit/month
October 1, 2024 – September 30, 2025 $21.40/unit/month
October 1, 2025 – September 30, 2026 $22.36/unit/month
October 1, 2026 – September 30, 2027 $23.36/unit/month
October 1, 2027 – September 30, 2028 $24.42/unit/month

Pickup Information
Pickup is on Wednesdays throughout the Village. The take-all program does not require any stickers or special bags. Do not leave kitchen garbage bags at the curb. Use sealed containers or bags of sufficient strength to resist animals. You are responsible for the cleanup of any loose garbage as a result of failing to secure garbage in closed containers.

Refuse Collection Guidelines 
Pickup will be between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. on your scheduled collection day once per week. Normally this is on Wednesdays, but is a day later if the holiday falls on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday. Lakeshore Recycling Systems holidays are:

  • New Years Day
  • Memorial Day
  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Day

FAQs and Resources

Yard Waste Recycling

Yard Waste collection is included in your monthly fee. No stickers are required. Yard waste is collected at the curb from the first of April through December 1st.  You must place the yard waste in a “Kraft” paper bag. Plastic bags are not acceptable for yard waste or leaves. There is a 50-pound limit for each “Kraft” bag and/or bundle.

  • Unlimited
  • April 1 through December 1
  • Yard waste can be set out using any of the following:
  • 2-ply, biodegradable paper bags not to exceed 50 lbs.
  • Containers not exceeding 35 gallons, marked with large “X” or “YW” or “YARD WASTE
  • 65-gallon yard waste carts are available for $3.15 per unit per month
  • 95-gallon yard waste carts are available for $5.50 per unit per month
  • Brush bundles tied in biodegradable twine not exceeding 4’ in length, 2’ in width, and 50 lbs.
  • Organic Food Scrap may be mixed in with yard waste during the yard waste season. Organic Food Scrap includes bread, cereal, coffee grounds, dairy, egg shells, eggs, fruits, grain, pasta, shells, and vegetables.
Twigs & Branches

Twigs and branches no more than 4 inches in diameter and 4 feet in length shall be bound with string or twine in bundles not exceeding 2 feet in diameter and do not exceed 50 pounds.

Christmas Trees

Christmas trees (not artificial) will be collected during the first full two weeks of January on collection day. There is no charge for this service.  All ornaments, tinsel, and lights must be removed before disposal.

Electronic Recycling

Electronic Waste (E-waste) Collection.

Once per year, LRS will provide electronic waste curbside pick-up at no cost, on a mutually agreed-upon date. LRS will collect up to seven (7) small electronic devices and up to two (2) televisions or computer monitors.

Additionally, residents may drop off up to seven (7) electronic waste items at the LRS transfer station, located at 1N138 Linlar Drive, Elburn, IL. There is a nominal charge for television and computer monitors, currently $25 for screens measuring 21 inches diagonally or smaller and $35 for screens measuring over 21 inches diagonally.

E-waste items include, but aren’t limited to, the following items, computer mice, computer monitors, computers, digital converter boxes, digital video disc players, digital video disc recorders, fax machines, keyboards, portable digital music players, printers, satellite receivers, scanners, small-scale servers, televisions, video game consoles, and videocassette recorders.

  • Smaller E-Waste items may be placed at the curb in a brown paper bag or a 24” x 24” x 24” or smaller cardboard box.
  • Please mark the box as EWASTE.
  • E-waste should be separate from the refuse (garbage), recycling, and yard waste containers in a noticeable location easily identifiable to the driver.

Kane County also offers electronic recycling several times throughout the year.  Check the Kane County Recycling website for more information.

Disposing of Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs

Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs
Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) bulbs are effective in reducing energy use at home and they also prevent greenhouse gas emissions. CFLs use up to 75% less energy than incandescent light bulbs and last up to 10 times longer.

Mercury Use
CFL bulbs do contain a very small amount of mercury within the glass tubing (an average of 5 milligrams – about the amount that would cover the tip of a ballpoint pen). No mercury is released when the bulbs are intact or in use. To compare, older thermometers contain about 500 milligrams of mercury. It would take 100 CFL bulbs to equal that amount. Even though fluorescent bulbs contain mercury, using them contributes less mercury to the environment than using regular incandescent bulbs. That’s because they use less electricity, and coal-fired power plants are the biggest source of mercury emissions in the air.

When a Fluorescent Bulb Breaks
If a CFL bulb breaks you should open the window in the room and leave the room for at least 15 minutes. While wearing rubber gloves, carefully scrape up the bulb fragments with stiff paper or cardboard and place them in a sealed bag. Take the bag to the hazardous waste item drop-off listed below.

Hazardous Waste Drop Off
When the bulb burns out or breaks residents can take the bulb to the local household hazardous waste recycling location. Kane County offers a one-day drop-off event for all household hazardous waste items located at the Kane County Fairgrounds in St. Charles. View the Kane County Recycles page.

Other E-Recycling Programs

E-Recycling Programs
Kane County offers multiple drop-off days throughout the year for recycling electronic products. The drop-ff location is at the Kane County Circuit Clerk Office on Randall Road in St. Charles.

Cell Phone Drop Off
The Village of Elburn Police Department and Kaneland Middle School Office also accept cell phones. They can be dropped off at the Elburn Police Department, 301 E. North Street, Elburn, IL, and at the Kaneland Middle School Office, 1N137 Meredith Road, Maple Park, IL.

Electronic Recycling
Beginning January 1, 2012, electronic equipment will no longer be collected with regular trash because of a new landfill ban in Illinois. Until recently, the majority of outdated electronics were thrown into landfills wasting valuable resources. Unwanted electronics must now by law be taken to a registered recycler for proper management. There will soon be many new opportunities added to the existing electronics recycling drop-offs and collection events in Kane County. Recycling at these locations is free to the public.

Electronic Products Recycling & Reuse Act
The Illinois Electronic Products Recycling and Reuse Act, which took effect in 2008, required manufacturers to establish a recycling program for discarded and unwanted electric products if they sell their products in Illinois. This newest phase (P.A. 97-0287) has expanded the list of electronic items banned from the state’s 48 active landfills.

Accepted Electronic Items
There are 17 electronic products listed in the statewide recycling legislation, including televisions, monitors, printers, computers, mice, keyboards, fax machines, game consoles, VCRs, and DVD players. The complete list of electronic items included in the ban may be found on the Illinois EPA website. Most collection points will accept many more items than are listed in the legislation, like cell phones and small household appliances. White goods (large appliances) are not included. Please see the county website under R for recycling, for a complete list of items accepted for collection.

Additional Information
Electronics contain a variety of valuable resources as well as potentially toxic contaminants. Recycling metals, plastics, and glass from electronic items conserves natural resources and uses far less energy than mining or refining raw materials, which include gold, cadmium, lead, and silver. Electronics manufacturers are required to collect and refurbish or recycle a certain amount of electronics based on a percentage of the products they sell. Manufacturers work with certified recycling companies to help them meet their recycling goals. Recycling companies typically work with local governments to provide free collection for residents.

Household Hazardous Waste

Recycling Household Hazardous Waste
Household hazardous waste cannot be picked up by Lakeshore Recycling Systems. Currently, there are recycling programs offered for the disposal of hazardous waste from Kane County. Kane County will recycle residential household hazardous waste items for residents in the Elburn Area at no charge on a specific drop-off day at the Kane County Fairgrounds. There are multiple items that they accept such as batteries, oil, anti-freeze, cleaning products, lawn, and pool chemicals. View the County’s website regarding household hazardous waste recycling.

Additional Information
The Kaneland Middle School Office, located at 1N137 Meredith Road, Maple Park, IL, accepts household batteries and ink cartridges, and they can be dropped off during school hours throughout the year.

White Good Appliances

Recycling White Goods
Residents may place one (1) white good appliance out for weekly collection as part of the weekly bulk item allowance for no charge. Residents must contact LRS to submit a pick-up request.


error: Content and images are protected !!