Village of Elburn | (630) 365-5060 | M-F 7:00AM - 3:30PM

Contact, Location and Hours

The non-emergency number for Tri-Com Central Dispatch is 630-232-4739, however, anytime a police officer, fire department or ambulance is needed at the scene (emergency or not), you may still call 9-1-1. (Cellular calls to 9-1-1 might be initially routed to the Kane County Sheriff Communication Center.)

Phone calls made to the Elburn Police Dept. are answered by administrative personnel who cannot dispatch officers. If you need an officer, you will be directed to dial 9-1-1.

The Elburn Police Department administrative office hours are Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Elburn Police Officers patrol the streets 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you need a police officer to respond to your location, dial 9-1-1 and an officer will be dispatched by the TriCom Communications Center. Cellular callers might initially reach the Kane County Sheriff Communication Center, however, will be transferred to TriCom if appropriate.


Residents that live in unincorporated Kane County may have an Elburn mailing address, however, the Elburn Police only have jurisdiction within the incorporated boundary limits of the Village of Elburn.

If you are in an unincorporated location, the Kane County Sheriff’s Police will respond to assist you. Calling 9-1-1 will have the proper jurisdiction dispatched.

The Village of Elburn does not require that bicycles be registered.

In the Village of Elburn, guns do not need to be registered, but OWNERS do. This is done with a Firearm Owner’s Identification (FOID) card. The program is administered by the Illinois State Police, but as a courtesy, forms are available at the front desk of the Elburn Police Department. Please call the Firearms Services Bureau, Customer Service Unit at 217-782-7980 with questions. An automated application request is also available at 217-782-5063 or visit the website at Illinois State Police FOID Application


No! Placing anything on or in a mailbox is a violation of federal statutes.

You need a solicitors permit anytime you will be:

  1. Seeking to obtain orders for the purchase of goods, wares, merchandise, foodstuffs or services of any kind, character or description whatsoever, for any kind of consideration whatsoever
  2. Seeking to obtain prospective customers for the application for or purchase of insurance of any type, kind or character
  3. Seeking to obtain subscriptions to books, magazines, periodicals and every other type of publication
  4. Seeking to obtain gifts or contributions of money, clothing or any other valuable thing
  5. Placing fliers on doors does not require a solicitor permit, since it does not involve individual contact with a resident or business owner/employee
  6. Newspaper sales are exempt from permit requirements since they are protected by the First Amendments freedom of speech and press.

Go to Village Codified Ordinance  then PART EIGHT – BUSINESS REGULATION AND TAXATION CODE then TITLE TWO – Business Regulation then Chapter 874.

You will need an Itinerant Merchant Permit anytime you will be attempting to sell products within the Village as a merchant dealing with potential customers in person, door-to-door, or from a vehicle.

Go to Village Codified Ordinance  then PART EIGHT – BUSINESS REGULATION AND TAXATION CODE then TITLE TWO – Business Regulation then Chapter 838.

The Village of Elburn soliciting ordinance is available online.  Go to Village Codified Ordinance  then PART EIGHT – BUSINESS REGULATION AND TAXATION CODE then TITLE TWO – Business Regulation then Chapter 874 – Solicitors.

Freedom of Information Act

Copies of any police report (other than a vehicle accident) must be requested in writing by filling out a Freedom of Information (FOI) request form. You can get this form by either picking one up at the police station or calling the police department and requesting a form be faxed or mailed. You can also download a Freedom of Inofrmation Act Request, print it and submit it.

Fill out the form with as much information as possible (e.g. dates, times, address, names) to allow our Records department staff to accurately fulfill your request. If you have the report number, please include it.

Copies are not available immediately, as the reports must be reviewed and approved prior to release. Police have 10 days to comply with your request. When the request has been completed, you will be phoned.

Freedom of Information Request Form

Car Seat/Child Safety Seat

The village of Elburn does have an officer certified for child restraint installation instructions and inspection.  For more information go to Child Safety Seat Certified Installation Service.

Children under 8 years of age must be transported in a proper child restraint system (safety seat/booster seat). The parent or legal guardian of the child is responsible for providing the child restraint system.

No child restraint system should be used in the front seat of a vehicle that is equipped with front driver and passenger side airbags, as the deployment of the airbags, even with a rear-facing safety seat, can cause injury to the child. Some vehicles with only front seats (i.e. pick-up trucks) have the ability to turn off the passenger side air bag for the purpose of transporting children. Check your vehicle’s owner manual for details on the proper placement and installation of a child safety seat in your vehicle.

It is recommended that children age 12 and under be transported in the rear seats if they have outgrown their booster seat. Illinois State Police Safety Restraint website

Laws and Ordinances

The Village of Elburn enforces curfew violations based on State of Illinois established times. Juveniles less than 17 years old may not be present at or upon any building, place, street, or highways unless accompanied and supervised by a parent, legal guardian, or other responsible companion age 18 or more years old who is approved by the parent or legal guardian:

Friday & Saturday, 12:01 a.m. to 6:00 a.m.
Sunday – Thursday, 11:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.

Exempt from this curfew are persons engaged in lawful employment (as outlined by state statute), attendance at an official civic/school/religious activity, attendance at an organized political protest/activity, or other core First Amendment activity.

There is a separate curfew law for drivers of a motor vehicle that are under 18 years of age prohibiting them from operating a motor vehicle:

Friday & Saturday, 11:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
Sunday – Thursday, 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.

(Some exceptions apply as outlined in the Illinois Vehicle Code 625 ILCS 5/6-110)

Pets & Wildlife

Pet owners shall keep such animals exclusively on such owner’s premises, except that any such animal may be off the premises if restrained by a substantial leash, chain, or other appropriate instrument or physical device and under the direct supervision and immediate control of a competent person.

Go to Village Codified Ordinance  then PART SIX – GENERAL OFFENSES CODE then Chapter 608.04 – Animals.

DO NOT approach the animal. Try to keep your distance and if possible go into your home or other shelter where the animal cannot reach you. Call 911

Provide the TriCom Communications Center with as much information about the animal as you can.

DO NOT approach or touch the dead bird. Call 9-1-1

Provide the dispatcher with as much information about the bird as you can.

An officer will be dispatched to determine the extent of the problem and whether the Village of Elburn can assist. If not, the officer may suggest either Kane County Animal Control or a private service to resolve the problem.

For additional information regarding Kane County Animal Control, contact them at

Vehicle:  Ordiances, Parking/Traffic Tickets, Accidents

The State of Illinois Vehicle Code requires all persons operating a motor vehicle on the highway to have a valid driver’s license and insurance. Although scooters and ATV’s typically do not reach high speeds, they remain classified as a motor vehicle. They are also required to have a headlight, taillights, brake light, and registration (license plate). State law also prohibits the operation of a motor vehicle on the sidewalk. A person can legally operate a scooter or ATV on their own property or the property of another where permission has been given to do so.

The Secretary of State’s office recommends the following steps to take in the event you are involved in a crash:

  • Stop your vehicle in a safe, well lighted, public place and call 9-1-1!
  • Help any injured persons if necessary or requested. Protect the person from traffic. Cover the injured person for comfort and to avoid shock. Do not move an injured person unless absolutely necessary. Do not attempt to give first aid unless you have been trained in it.
  • Someone should warn other drivers, using flares if available.
  • Ask all those involved for their names, addresses, phone numbers, driver’s license numbers, and license plate numbers.
  • Notify the nearest police department as quickly as possible.

Copies of vehicle accident reports can be obtained from the police department for a fee of $5 each (cash or check). Requests can be made by mail (provided a check accompanies the request) or in person. Before you come in to pick up a report for a very recent accident, please call first to make sure the report is available.

Typically, all drivers in an accident receive a copy of the report from the officer on the scene or soon after by mail. You must mail this copy to the Illinois Department of Transportation within 10 days if there was $1,500 or more worth of damage to any one vehicle or property or any injury. (Or $500 in damage if one or more vehicles involved did not have proof of insurance at the time of the report). The copy available at the police department contains more information, including the officer’s version of the accident and if any tickets were issued.

There are many ways you may pay for ordinance/parking citations.

Elburn ticket’s are self-addressed and may be mailed to the Village of Elburn.

Drop Off
You may drop the ticket in the Village Hall Drop Box located at 301 E. North St., 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

By Credit Card
You may pay the ticket in person, or by phone with a credit card at the Elburn Police Department, Monday – Friday 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Acceptable forms of payment include cash, personal check, money order, or credit card (Note: A processing fee is added to all credit card payments). The amount of the fine is identified on the parking ticket and varies depending upon the violation and number of previous tickets incurred in the last 12 months. If you are paying with cash, you must have exact change. If you are paying by check, please make it payable to Village of Elburn.

If you believe that an ordinance/parking citation was issued in error, you may complete an Ordinance Citation Review Form and return it to the Elburn Police Department either by mail, fax or in person.

If the citation was improperly issued or issued in error, the ticket will be voided. If the facts presented causes the ticket to remain in effect, the second step to dispute the ticket is to request a court date to have a hearing in front of a judge at the Kane Branch Court. Additional fines may be assessed if found guilty in court.

Crime Prevention

Report the crime to the Police – Call 9-1-1

The Elburn Police Department website has information on Domestic Violence and Orders of Protections: Domestic Violence Page

Please visit the Theft & Financial Crimes page in the Crime Prevention section of the Elburn Police Department web site.

The Kane County State’s Attorney has implemented a Bad Check Restitution Program to assist local merchants and citizens with bad check losses under $5,000. This program is designed to obtain full restitution for the victims without adding to the financial burden of the criminal justice system. Checks ineligible for the Kane County State’s Attorney Bad Check Restitution Program may be pursued via small claims court or by a private collection agency. The Victim Hotline is 1-877-841-4266 or call Check Writers at 1-877-841-4752. View more information on  the Kane County Bad Check Restitution Program.

error: Content and images are protected !!